Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Welcome to Rick's Recipes!


Welcome to Rick's Recipes!  If this is the only post on here when you read it I apologize for the fact that there aren't actually any recipes on here yet, but let me explain.

For many years I have been taking pictures of my cooking and writing up recipes for my own use and for those who ask for them.  I have always planned to self-publish a little cookbook someday and hand it out for Christmas presents.

Last March I started my first blog Retired Pastor Ruminates, a somewhat eclectic but mostly theological and church-oriented blog, and from time to time posted a recipe on it.  I soon discovered that these were among my most popular blogposts.

So I thought it would be fun to have all the recipes in one place and that is what Rick's Recipes is all about.  In the meantime you can find some of my recipes here.  Just look under recipes in the index.

I also plan to write about wine and spirits here, especially about food and wine pairings.  I wanted to call this “Rick's Cafe Americain” after the cafe in Casablanca, but it was taken.  Then I thought of just “Rick's Cafe,” but that was taken too.  Apparently there is a popular spot in Jamaica by that name.  So I raise my glass to the early adopters, and my blog will just be Rick's Recipes.  My name is actually Rick, by the way.

In the interest of full disclosure I have no formal culinary training.  I am just a passionate home cook and foodie with about forty years of self-training in my background.   I am a avid reader of cookbooks and my influences will be transparent to some of you.  I make no claims to great originality.  Many of these recipes are derivative, but I like to think I have put my own spin on them.  Like good preaching, good cooking relies on tradition.  So they are what they are.  Everything here I have made myself and people have eaten and enjoyed it.  I hope you do too, and that you will come back.

As Julia would say, “Bon appetit!”

(Photo by R. L. Floyd.  “A dinner in Provence”

No comments:

Post a Comment